New Michelin Road 5

Ask questions and discuss technical items here. Tighten till it strips, then back out a half turn.

Moderator: Boxer

RoadSurfer

New Michelin Road 5

Post by RoadSurfer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 am

Michelin is bringing out a new spec tyre.

Lots of information can be had right here!

KURODORI
Jaw Flapper

Re: New Michelin Road 5

Post by KURODORI » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 am

+
+
No mention in all the hype concerning the poor wear performance of front PR4s and PR3s. The tendency for these tyres to accelerated wear on the right side of the tread is the reason I've decided to change to Pirellis. My (blue) Blackbird has just recently polished off a set of Diablo Rosso IIIs, a tyre more suited to track days than grand touring which only lasted for about 16000kms. Nevertheless, while there was noticeable scalloping, the front tyre looked to have stood up much better than the Michelins had.

It will be interesting to see if the Road 5's front tyre performance shows any improvement. Now, who wants to stump up for a set and put them to the test?

P.S. ... I recently (~1000kms ago) put a set of Angel GTs on the abovementioned beast. Even if they only last as long as the PR4s and don't outlast them, they will have been a good buy. They cost $50 less per set!
+
+
"The rare power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by the countless who have not got it, and even common sense is not so common" -- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

RoadSurfer

Post by RoadSurfer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:44 am

A little dated, but still relevant and interesting:
Tyre comparisons

This item is a little more recent:
More

Boxer
Going Hoarse

Post by Boxer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Roadsurfer,

Thanks for researching this for the Forum.

My most recent tyres – GTR1400:

Pirelli Angel GTs – 16,066Kms to date, still legal but don’t think they’ll get to 18K or 19Ks, front tyre in good nick;

Michelin PR4s – 18,162Kms, the front tyre was still legal but complete crap at time of change;

Michelin PR4s – 20,633Ks, ditto for front tyre;

Michelin PR4s – 17,069, ditto for front tyre.

The table that shows Price v Performance is interesting because it seems to confirm the real choice these days is between Michelin PR4s v Pirelli Angel GTs. However, the table doesn’t take into account longevity / durability. Given a set of tyres is $500+ in Perth these days, this is an important consideration.

“Listen to the pouring rain, listen to it rain.” – who said climate change was “crap”?

I don’t understand the table “Details how long various tires have lasted us”. This shows Pirelli Angel GT getting an average of 4,582 miles or 7,374Kms!! WTF!? What do they do in the States? Burn outs before breakfast? They elected Trump, have they now gone completely mad? Or, have I read this wrong? Whatever.

I’m gonna need new tyres soon and had contemplated going back to Michelin PR2s. However, I don’t think I’ll do that, I’ll probably get another set of Pirellis because the front tyre is more reliable, they are slightly better priced than the Michelin PR4s and it looks like they have more or less the same longevity.

Kurodori San, re your invite to guinea pig the Michelin 5s, thanks but no thanks. If only because Michelin heven't fessed up about their front tyre issues.

Boxer
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has no pleasure in a motorcycle, must be intolerably stupid - after Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Boxer
Going Hoarse

Post by Boxer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Having said that . . . . I was in Causeway Kawasaki today looking for some elbow armour and noticed they were/are closing down.

So, I bought some armour and this set of Michelin PR4s for $464.

Now all I gotta do is get someone to fit them - it might not turn out to be a good buy after all:
180117 michelin tyres.jpeg
Michelin PR4s.
180117 michelin tyres.jpeg (165.42 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
Not for you Van der Headbolt.

Boxer
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has no pleasure in a motorcycle, must be intolerably stupid - after Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Vanderbelt
Blabbermouth

Post by Vanderbelt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Steel belted? Hmmm?
Purveyor of fine wines and leather goods.

RoadSurfer

Post by RoadSurfer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 am

Road 5 isn't meant to replace the PR4-GT for those of us who prefer the stiffer carcass of the GT for heavier bikes or heavier loads.
The Road 5 will come as a GT version later this year or early in 2019.
For now Michelin recommends continued use of the PR4-GT for heavier bikes and heavier loads.

So, Mr Boxer, did you buy the GT version of the PR4?

Boxer
Going Hoarse

Post by Boxer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 am

Roadsurfer,

Sorry, no "gotcha" moment here:
180118 michelin 2gt.jpeg
Michelin PR4 2GT rear
180118 michelin 2gt.jpeg (188.72 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
Front tyre has same inscription.

BTW, can you suggest anyone in Perth who might be able to fit em to my bike? That is, assuming you live in Perth Western Australia. Who knows, you may be a denizen of outer Mongolia and living in a nomads yurt with the stiff carcass of Olga and her heavy sister Natasha with her heavier "loads".

Boxer

RoadSurfer

Post by RoadSurfer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:33 am

The lettering on the tyre says "2CT", not "GT". Do you need glasses, oh rude one?

If you look carefully at my avatar areas, you will notice that I live north of the river, and am often out of the country. And yes, I have been to Mongolia, a country with highly sophisticated people who yak all the time, just like you.

BillWest
Site Admin

Post by BillWest » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Big rumour has it that Causeway Kawasaki is changing hands, with Mack 1 a possible contender.
Married men should remember, they can be right, or they can be happy.

Boxer
Going Hoarse

Post by Boxer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:51 am

To quote the outgoing proprietor - " . . . the new owners move in on Monday (22 January 2018) . . .."

Boxer
Going Hoarse

Post by Boxer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Well, I finally got 17,867Kms from a set of Pirelli Angel GTs with probably another thousand Ks left in them.

Here's my 1400 up on blocks whilst the new Michelin PR4s were being fitted.

180227 gtr1400 on blocks.jpeg
GTR1400 up on blocks
180227 gtr1400 on blocks.jpeg (156.13 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

Motorcycle Masters in Kewdale fitted, balanced and disposed of the old tyres for $40 a set: good value.

PS: Van der HeadBolt I looked at your avatar and was reminded of the old saying: "middle age is when your narrow waist and broad mind change places". ha ha ha ha ha

Cheers

Boxer

Vanderbelt
Blabbermouth

Post by Vanderbelt » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Ha ha ha, raucous laughter ensues.
Purveyor of fine wines and leather goods.

BillWest
Site Admin

Post by BillWest » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am

KURODORI wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 am

It will be interesting to see if the Road 5's front tyre performance shows any improvement. Now, who wants to stump up for a set and put them to the test?
Recent trip to Phillip Island, on the ZZR1200.
The trip was 8000km.

Front: PR5
Rear: PR2.
This turned out to be a very good combination.

My son on his ZX12R has PR5's front and rear. His shows similar wear to mine.

Wear on both tyres show a bit of flattening off, not surprising since a large part is on flat roads.
Cornering was exceptional with the Michelins.
I did the Great Alpine Road previously on Pirelli, and couldn't get comfortable cornering. This time around was exhilerating, especially the 30km zig-zag down the northern side of Mt Hotham.

I always thought that PR2's were the best, I now favour PR5's.
Front.jpg
Slight flattening.
Front.jpg (287.9 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Rear.jpg
Slight flattening. Note the result of sidewind....
Rear.jpg (251.81 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Married men should remember, they can be right, or they can be happy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic