Special tools

Ask questions and discuss technical items here. Tighten till it strips, then back out a half turn.

Moderator: Boxer

wayne
Motormouth

Special tools

Post by wayne » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Bill's thread on the top end overhaul and the need of a "special tool" reminded me of a special tool in my garage.

Son in his wisdom at 18 had purchased a heap of shit aka Nissan Silvia and was in the midst of replacing the suspension. Of course being several decades old the nuts would not move. It's at this point that he seeks Dads wisdom, not before the purchase!!! I had a piece of pipe sitting in the garage for some years just waiting for this moment in time. Cut it down to about a 4 foot length belted the end of it to flatten it a bit and viola, one special tool. Leverage works wonders. Who else has a special leverage tool, or other special tools.

Wayne.

Boxer
Going Hoarse

Re: Special tools

Post by Boxer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 am

Wayne,

This is a “special leverage tool”.

It is an exhaust flange spanner to fit and remove the finned exhaust clamps of the 40mm pipes of a /7 R100S BMW motorcycle. It was made for me by my old man in about 1983. It was made from the remnants of a clamp that had crystallised onto the head thread and had to be cut off. The head had to be removed, thread base rewelded and re threaded to fit a new clamp; it was that or buy a new head. This was a decision imposed upon me by the laws of capitalism; I couldn’t afford the outrageous price for a new head.

Anyway, the old man manufactured the wrench out of the remnants of the cut off clamp and here it is. It was pressed into service many times as the lesson I learnt from the experience was that every BMW /7 (and earlier) rider has to release and retighten his/her nuts every now and then to stop then crystallising (self welding) onto the head thread.
170719 exhaist wrench 1.JPG
BMW /7 exhaust wrench 1
170719 exhaist wrench 1.JPG (86.14 KiB) Viewed 953 times
170719 exhaust wrench 2.JPG
BMW /7 exhaust wrench 2
170719 exhaust wrench 2.JPG (105.65 KiB) Viewed 953 times
170719 exhaust wrench 3.JPG
BMW /7 exhaust wrench 3
170719 exhaust wrench 3.JPG (89 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Boxer
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has no pleasure in a motorcycle, must be intolerably stupid - after Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

wayne
Motormouth

Post by wayne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Boxer,

That's gold.

wayne
Motormouth

Post by wayne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Yes Dad's where would we be without them!!

My Dad made this crude implement circa 1973. It is used to remove a fixed sprocket from a treadly. You can actually purchase nice shiny ones nowadays but they sure were not around in 1973.
Attachments
Cog remover 2.jpg
Sprocket remover
Cog remover 2.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Cog remover.jpg
Sprocket remover
Cog remover.jpg (85.41 KiB) Viewed 942 times

BillWest
Site Admin

Post by BillWest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 pm

My home made clutch removal tool, to remove the clutch from a Yamaha triple.
This would stop the clutch pack from spinning whilst undoing various items.

CBMMA = "Cheap Bastards Motorcycle Mechanics Association".
Married men should remember, they can be right, or they can be happy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic