Flat as a Tack

Ask questions and discuss technical items here. Tighten till it strips, then back out a half turn.

Moderator: Boxer

BillWest
Site Admin

Flat as a Tack

Post by BillWest » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

I have a battery that did service in my ZZR for 2 years, before giving up the ghost in that one. I then installed it in my ZRX where it worked fine for another 3 years.
A couple of weeks ago it started to hesitate, so I charged it up. At the same time I charged up a Motobatt battrey that had failed to keep a charge in my ZZR about a year ago.

Anyway, today I rode the ZRX to lunch in Karagullen, and all was fine. I left there around 1:30pm and paid a brief visit to Motorcycle Masters. When I wanted to leave there, the starter wouldn't turn over. I said "WTF" a number of times, but that didn't help. MM has a spare battery floating around, but that was not sufficiently charged to get me going.

So, #2 son had to collect me, drive me to the city for urgent business as dictated by SWMBO, and then drive me back to MM.
He had brought with him the little battery starter pack that I bought a year ago and had never used. Connected, and it fired right up! Marvellous little item!

When I got home, I switched off, and tried to start again. No go. "WTF", I said.
I removed the offending battery, checked the voltage across the terminals (13.2V) and just for the hell of it, put the Motobatt (12.4V) in. Guess what? It started.
I guess the offending battery is simply rooted, or in layman's terms, it no longer works properly.

Anyway, Dave G prompted me to buy this u-beaut duvalaki, and I' m glad he did.

8)
Married men should remember, they can be right, or they can be happy.

BillWest
Site Admin

Re: Flat as a Tack

Post by BillWest » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:48 am

At MM yesterday, the bad battery showed 5V across the terminals.
The Motobatt this morning wouldn't fire up the bike.

Off the the battery shop, to buy an SSB Glass Matt battery.

Digress
Blabbermouth

Post by Digress » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm glad the advice was useful to get the bike home. I carry the jump starter on all rides and it has been used several times to get myself and two others going. I followed your advice and bought a small hand held compressor tyre pump and that has rescued me once with a slow leak in the front.
So sometimes it pays to heed advice from another old (but not out) fart. I found that a lithium battery installed in the bike a year ago has held the charge better than other batteries. Time will tell if the total service life is more reliable and better than a conventional battery. cheers Dave
Try to take life as it comes and just hope it keeps coming.

BillWest
Site Admin

Post by BillWest » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 am

The jump starter, advertised as "for motorcycle use", also successfully started our Camry (flat battery), 3 times this week.
:D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic